more black-owned banking institutions that get capital into black neighborhoods
A companion piece to our list of Black Banks, here are some Better Banking Options that specifically invest in black communities. They’re all MCUs and are listed below with their headquarters location. Because credit unions usually have eligibility requirements, we’d recommend looking at the credit unions in your area first and checking eligibility on their website. If none of these are in your geographic area, check our list of Black Banks for other options.
- 1st Choice CU (Atlanta, GA)
- Brookland FCU (West Columbia, SC)
- Community Owned FCU (Charleston, SC)
- Credit Union of Atlanta (Atlanta, GA)
- Faith Community CU (Cleveland, OH)
- Faith Cooperative FCU (Dallas, TX)
- FAMU Federal Credit Union (Tallahassee, FL)
- First Legacy Community CU (Charlotte, NC)
- Greater Kinston CU (Kinston, NC)
- Hill District FCU (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Howard University Employees FCU (District of Columbia)
- Hope Federal Credit Union (Jackson, MS)
- Mount Olive Baptist Church FCU (Arlington, TX)
- Oak Cliff Christian FCU (Dallas, TX)
- Omega Psi Psi Fraternity FCU (Lawrenceville, GA)
- Southern Teachers and Parents FCU (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Southside Community FCU (Chicago, IL)
- St. Louis Community CU (St. Louis, MO)
- Toledo Urban FCU (Toledo, OH)
- Urban Upbound (New York, NY)
To learn more about why banking with black credit unions and other Minority Depository Institutions is so essential, read our article on MDIs here.
We’ll continue to publish articles on black banking institutions and are currently updating our search engine to make MDIs easier to find and compare. Please subscribe and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how conscientious banking practices can help make a difference in black communities and lives.